Thursday, October 23, 2008

frieze patterns in earthen art




I have been studying a lot of eco-art therapy. I have this wonderful book "Dig Your Hands in The Dirt: A Manual for Making Art out of Earth" by Kiko Denzer I was reviewing some of the material in this book to get inspiration for a project to do with the kids I work with at CitySprouts.
I noticed that a lot of the tile patterns he uses to make mud mosaic murals are made into frieze patterns. He describes how to make your image more simplified, create a pattern out of it and reverse and repeat the image. The work he does is beautiful and full of symmetry!
P.S. we're trying to start some mud mosaic murals as a part of the eco-expressive therapies group at Lesley- let me know if you're interested!

3 comments:

kcantor said...

I think this is really beautiful. I am taking intro to art therapy and have found that making repetitive patterns is incredibly therapeutic. It is very relaxing! Thanks for sharing.

Angela V-C said...

I'd be interested in knowing more about the work you do with CitySprouts. I've been thinking a lot about urban gardening lately, and wondering if I could do more myself...

deirdre said...

here's a website for a great urban gardening resource in the boston area:

http://www.bostonnatural.org/MUG.htm

thereare so many ways to garden in an urban environment, i'm especially inspired by manhattan rooftop honey- a bunch of people keep bees on top of their apt buildings and harvest their own local central park pollinated honey, pretty cool stuff