Sunday, September 7, 2008

Photosynth

Last semester, my friend shared this video with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkuGrCB85H8

Photosynth is a program that almost completely is over my head as far as understanding is concerned. However, this link will help better explain how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Live_Labs_Photosynth

Essentially, the relevance and similarities I found between this program and MC Escher's paintings is the ability to make things that are actually 1 dimensional and make them into 3 dimensional. For instance, MC Escher took a 1 dimensional canvas and turned it into this 3 dimensional drawing using shading.


The video I linked you all to explains how Photosynth does the same thing with 1 dimensional photographs by collectively turning them all into one 3 dimensional image. I think it's really neat.

2 comments:

Angela V-C said...

Ok, I went and looked at the video and it is pretty amazing. You should check out the photosynth site where you can actually explore some of these synths (or even create your own). I'm impressed! It's a whole new kind of social networking. Photosynth also has a video on how to use it.

Steve said...

The first video doesn't seem to work anymore. I heard of a similar machine being made by MIT taking a single image and making it into a 3D image. Very interesting stuff. I'll try to find the video sometime.